Hanging a photo is one of those things that seems simple, until you have to figure out where to make the hole in your pristine wall.
Hanging a photo is one of those things that seems simple, until you have to figure out where to make the hole in your pristine wall. Here are some quick measurements and shortcuts to help you hammer that nail with confidence.
If the furniture is on a plain wall, or low to the floor, hang the piece at eye level. That is, with its centre 145cm (57") from the floor. However if the furniture is taller, like a bed, sofa or chest of drawers, do the following:
1. Centre the artwork to the bed or sofa, widthwise. Ideally the piece should cover 2/3rd the width of the furniture.
2. If hanging multiple pieces, there should be a 3” gap between them and they should cover 2/3rd the width of the furniture in total.
3. Measure the height of your furniture.
4. Pull your hanging wire taught, and measure the distance between the tip of the wire and the bottom of the painting.
5. Add 20cm (8”) to your number from (3) and number from (4). This gives you the height from the floor at which to place your nail in the wall.
Height of nail from floor = 8” + (height of furniture) + (distance between wire and bottom of painting)